Author of OUTBACK LOVE a contemporary romance novel set in Australia, JETTING AWAY a short story prequel to OUTBACK LOVE, MOON OVER MADNESS a paranormal romantic comedy and BAYOU BLUES AND OTHER SORROWS a collection of short stories and poems about life and love. All are available online at Amazon/Kindle Unlimited.

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Share the Love

It has come to my attention that we, as authors, need to "Share the Love." In this cut-throat publishing industry it is too easy to become self-centered and self-serving. Of course, we want our own books to come out on top of the pile, but what in the world would we do up there all alone?

Maybe we all should re-read Dr. Seuss's "Yertle the Turtle" and remember how easy it is to topple the one at the top. Now where am I going with all this?

As authors we are, first and foremost, readers. We love books. Otherwise we never would have gotten into the business/love of writing in the first place. So we devour the books we love, but rarely tell others how much we love those same books. We tend to keep it all to ourselves and then hope that all those wonderful words rearrange themselves and come out in our own writing.

I'm just as guilty as the rest of us when it comes to soaking up all those wonderful words. I can only hope that once in a while I'll write something that others will love and maybe want to emulate? In the meantime, I read because I love to read and write because I love to write.

Now here's the real reason for this particular blog post. I've noted over and over again that those who "hate" one book or another are quick to let the whole world know of their dislikes. While those of us who love a certain book tend to keep it to ourselves and don't "share the love" with others.

Why is this? Why can't we sit down and let others know how much we love one book or another? It's not that hard to do. It only takes a few minutes out of our very busy days. But doesn't it feel good to say something nice about another every now and then?

My mother taught me "That if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all." I've tried to adhere to that all my life. There are plenty of things I don't like out there in the world. I try not to pass on all that negativity and strive to look at and share the positive. Wouldn't it be wonderful if we all tried to do that?

I'm not saying that I'm more of a "do gooder" than someone else. Believe me, I have plenty of faults, just like the rest of us. But I do try to concentrate on the positives in life. I try to let others know when they've done something good or kind or wonderful or brilliant.

So here's the deal, and the primary reason for this post. When we read a book we love, let's not keep it to ourselves. Let the whole world know we liked it or loved it and why. Remember, it only takes a few minutes to "share the love" with others. Only a few little words to put a smile on the faces, and warmth in the heart, of those who read those very same words.

Before Christmas I was Tweeting that one of the best presents to give to an author is a nice review. Well, Christmas is over, but that doesn't mean we need to stop giving those presents to our favorite authors or those authors we've just discovered and think we can grow to love.

Try it. Write those few words of praise, words of love, and see how you feel. It'll give you a warm tingly feeling knowing that you've "shared the love" with others just like you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers.