Author of OUTBACK LOVE a contemporary romance novel set in Australia, JETTING AWAY a short story prequel to OUTBACK LOVE, MOON OVER MADNESS a paranormal romantic comedy and BAYOU BLUES AND OTHER SORROWS a collection of short stories and poems about life and love. All are available online at Amazon/Kindle Unlimited.

Friday, August 3, 2012

The Three Rs and The Cat's Meow

Ruth's part-time cat, Sam.

First off, you are probably asking yourself, "What in the heck is she talking about?" What is the connection between The Three Rs and The Cat's Meow? Well, there is a connection.

Now the Three Rs I am talking about is not what you would think: readin', ritin' and 'rithmetic. Nope, my Three Rs are my three BFFs, three who have been my friends for practically forever. They are <drum rolls please> Rhonda, Regina and Ruth. Now what are the odds of having more than one BFF in a lifetime and all three having an R-name? I assure you, the odds are pretty slim.

Rhonda and I have been friends since we were five years old and in kindergarten together in southern California. Our parents were best friends too. We ate at each other's houses, had weekend sleepovers, swapped clothes and vacationed together. Only in adult years, after Rhonda took up genealogy, we discovered we're actually distant cousins. We both have the same patriot multi-greats-grandfather, Samuel Higgins. Rhonda is already a member of DAR and nudging me in that direction, but that's another post entirely.

Regina and I have been friends since we first worked together back in the 1980s as welfare case-workers for the State of Florida. Actually, I was the one assigned to train Regina and correct her work. Well, she's a stubborn spit-fire from Rio, so you can imagine how that went over. We've been the best of friends ever since, even through all the years that I moved away, moved back, moved away, moved back, you get the picture. Now, as we're both retired (well, she's retired and I'm writing), we get together usually once a week for donuts (Krispie Kreme or Dunkin' Donuts) and trips to the mall and bookstores.

Ruth (Author, Ruth Kerce) has been my BFF since 1994 when we first met at an RWA Desert Rose Chapter Conference in Las Vegas. Now you all have already heard about Ruth when I interviewed her on my blog back in June. Suffice to say that I have Ruth to blame for my being an Indie Author. You see, we were both struggling writers way back then. After several years I gave up writing and went back to my art (painting landscapes and still-lifes in acrylics and oils). Ruth kept on writing and is now a well established author published by Ellora's Cave and Changeling Press. She's also an Indie Author writing sensual HOT short stories. All these years, even after I moved away from Las Vegas and back to Florida, Ruth and I have remained the best of friends. We communicate on pretty much a daily basis and she is solely to blame from me getting back into writing and becoming an epublished Indie Author.

DC, my childhood cat (named after the book/movie).

Now comes The Cat's Meow part of this post. Rhonda, Regina and Ruth are all cat people and I'm a dog person. How in the world did that happen? Let me back-peddle a bit. I had a cat, DC, back when I was growing up. So I do like/love cats, I just don't have any right now. But The Three Rs are definitely cat people, no two ways about it.


When we were kids, Rhonda had a fluffy, regal, orange cat named Lord Buffington. He was an awesome cat who followed us kids everywhere. I remember when holding Buffy, he'd flop over your arm like a Ragdoll cat. To this day, Rhonda has always had one cat or another.

Regina, on the other hand, is the ultimate cat person. When Regina and I first me, she didn't have any cats. In fact, she'd never had a cat in her life. But a co-worker gave her a mama cat with two kittens and that was all it took. Regina became a confirmed cat person. As we speak, Regina is currently the "mama" to six very spoiled, pampered cats. All arrived at her doorstep as strays, were taken in, neutered, given their required shots, doctored (for a torn ear, injured eye, etc.) and fed the best cat food available (I know because I shop for cat food with her).

Now for Ruth. She loves cats, but doesn't have one of her very own. Instead, she shares a cat, Sam, with neighbors. Sam is Ruth's cat during the day and the neighbor's cat at night. For those who follow Ruth on Twitter (@RuthKerce) she tweets Sam's antics and pics (see the pic of Sam at the top of this post).  Sam is a very smart cat with the disposition of a queen.

For those who follow my tweets (@TeriHeyer) and/or my blog, I'm a dog person. I've had dogs ever since I was a toddler (see the pic of Dusty and I at the bottom of my blog). I am currently the proud "mama" to two big dogs, Shani, who weighs 85 pounds, and Dude, who weighs 100 pounds and may still be growing (he's only 18 months old). Pics of Shani and Dude are all over my blog and I tweet their pics too.

Now to be honest, I'd have cats in addition to dogs, but my husband insists that he's allergic to cats. I don't know if that's really true, but he does manage to sneeze and carry on whenever he's around cats. But someday, when we buy that acreage I keep dreaming about, I'll have some barn cats. And eventually those barn cats will become house cats. But don't tell my husband.

So now you know the connection between The Three Rs and The Cat's Meow. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Those who follow my blog know that I love to post lists of books, so this time is no exception. Below you'll find a list of cat fiction, most of them mystery series which you may already know. But just in case, check the list to see if there's something you haven't discovered yet.

My three favorite cat fiction books from when I was growing up:

Thomasina by Paul Gallico
It's Like This, Cat by Emily Neville
That Darn Cat by The Gordons

Cat fiction, mostly mystery series, that you might enjoy (in no particular order):

The Cat Who Knew Shakespeare (The Cat Who Knew Series) by Lilian Jackson Braun
The Guardian Cats and the Lost Books of Alexandria by Rahma Krambo
Catnip (A Dunbarton Mystery) by Valerie E. Tate
Curiosity Thrilled the Cat (A Magical Cats Mystery) by Sofie Kelly
The Cat, The Quilt and The Corpse (A Cats in Trouble Mystery) by Leann Sweeney
The Big Kitty (A Sunny & Shadow Mystery) by Claire Donally
Murder Past Due (Cat in the Stacks Mystery) by Miranda James
How to Wash a Cat (Cats & Curios Mystery) by Rebecca M. Hale
Double Booked for Death (A Black Cat Bookshop Mystery) by Ali Brandon
Sneaky Pie for President (Sneaky Pie Brown) by Rita Mae Brown
Three Cat Mysteries by D. J. Crayne
Fruit of the Tomb (Midnight Louie Short Story) by Carol Nelson Douglas
Cat in a White Tie and Tails (Midnight Louie Mystery) by Carol Nelson Douglas
Orange as Marmalade (Biscuit McKee Mystery) by Fran Stewart
Cat Bearing Gifts (Joe Grey Mystery) by Shirley Rousseau Murphy
The Cat Who Wasn't a Dog by Marian Babson

Chester, my mom & brother's Maine Coon.
Please add your favorite cat books in the comments below. "Meow!"

Note: Chester, my mom and brother's Maine Coon cat weighs 25 pounds, has a huge fluffy tail and is a purring machine. He is very regal. I said he should be named Sir Chester.







6 comments:

  1. Ah, the title "The Cat Who Wasn't a Dog" caught my attention. Sounds like a case of mistaken identity! Love to read your lists, Teri! I am most definitely NOT a cat person, but I do have one very chubby cocker spaniel who isn't a cat person either!

    I love it that your BFFs names begin with "Rs". In elementary school all my friends were enda/inda's--Brenda, Glenda, Linda, Larinda. Now, I work in a small office with three Linda's!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Denise, thanks so much for your cool comment. Love that your chubby cocker isn't a cat person. My dog, Shani, is pretty much the same way. On the other hand, my dog, Dude, loves everyone, cats included.

      I love about your "enda/inda" childhood friends. Funny how that works sometimes.

      I'm glad to hear that you love to read my book lists. I have a fun time putting them together. As you can probably tell, I love books. So putting together the lists is like perusing the shelves of a bookstore. Pretty much my favorite place to be.

      Delete
  2. Cute post, Teri. Thanks for the mention. Oh, and Sam Cat is very pleased with herself for getting top photo placement. She told me that you have good taste. LOL BTW, love that photo of Chester. He's a handsome one, for sure. I think even Sam would be impressed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruth, thanks so much for the use of Sam Cat's royal pic. She's such a beauty. Yes, Chester is a handsome boy with a personality to match. He rules the other two cats and the two Bassets.

      Delete
  3. read the first two chapters of your book 'Moon Over Madness'.Very impressed with your writing

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers.